Category Archives: Community

Wherever people gather, I’ll be there

Ode to the Teacher and Dulcimer Musician

Whenever I drive out onto the open highway, the inevitable question, “what is the road?” enters my mind. And every trip offers additional answers to the inquiry, prompting the question again and again. Most recently, while driving from my family’s … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Conversations on Travel, On the Road in America, Travel | Tagged , , , , | 4 Comments

A Glass Filled With Travel

Different Modes of Exploration #10: Wine My nose leans in towards the last sip of a Central California Pinot Noir, a grape varietal (one of my absolute favorites) described as “silky, complex, subtle and beautiful,” by the experienced wine enthusiast … Continue reading

Posted in Beer & Wine, Community, Different Modes of Exploration | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

A Conversation on Ethics

Conversations on Travel: Discussion 1 During the recent themed discussions on the present moment and enjoying the nuances of life, I began thinking about how traveling motivates a deeper awareness for the world around us, and that this awareness certainly … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Conversations on Travel, Travel | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Reflections on the Present Forgotten

Different Modes of Exploration #8: Music — Part 2 Curtis Fuller sits on the edge of his padded stool, almost standing. He pulls the trombone to his lips, a brass instrument as tall as he is, but surely not as … Continue reading

Posted in At Home in Denver & the Rockies, Community, Different Modes of Exploration, Travel | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

When the Written Word Wanders Us to New Worlds

Different Modes of Exploration #7: Reading I leaned back in the moldy recliner that sat on the porch of my dorm with Cannery Row in-hand.  From my perch, I read half a semester worth of novels. I felt snub.  And … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Different Modes of Exploration, Travel | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

An Irish Pint Named Croagh Patrick

Something from the Vault: Volume 2 After dinner in Westport, Ireland, we saw an inviting pub with a red awning and green lettering beckoning us inside.  Then again, there are very few Irish pubs that don’t shout, “come join us … Continue reading

Posted in Beer & Wine, Community, Food, Something from the Vault, Travel | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Intoxication: Music’s Journey

Different Modes of Exploration #6: Music Over the last few weeks, I’ve compiled all my iTunes music into one library, resulting in about 15,000 songs and somewhere near 50 days worth of music.  Combined with 200 or so CDs lying … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Different Modes of Exploration, Travel | Tagged , , , , , | 3 Comments